Gualdo is a small town, that lies on top of a hill, of particular rural and environmental interest. At a height of 652 metres above sea level, between the high valleys of the Tennacola and Salino streams. From the town, of a clearly medieval structure with its narrow and torturous streets, you can see the not so far-off Sibillini mountains that bring fascinating images of the Sibylline cave that has been awaiting for millennia, to mind, as far as the harsh portrait of Mount Conero, on the Adriatic coast. The name comes from the Longobard word 'wald' in the meaning of 'wood'.
Maybe the first defensive wall system dates back to the 10th century of which some stretches are visible. It still has the next series of walls from the 14th century in curtains of sandstone: of the five reinforcement towers those that acted as private homes are the only ones that remain. The parish church of St. Savino seems to have been built towards the end of the 13th century, but remodelled in the neoclassical style at the end of the 1700s in the form of a Greek cross. Inside, you can admire the Gonfalone del Rosario (Standard of the Rosary) by Alessandro Ricci, the Madonna con il Bambino e i Santi Giovanni Battista e Savino (Madonna with Child and Saint John the Baptist and St. Savino) by Antonio Liozzi, an Ultima cena (Last Supper), that recent studies have incontrovertibly shown is the work of Ubaldo Ricci who carried it out in 1693. A delicate stone bas-relief, which can be dated back to the 17th century, is also interesting to note. It depicts Our Lady offering the Child Jesus to a saint who is kneeling down. An interesting frescoe of the 1400s is kept in the rural church of the Madonna delle Grazie, maybe dating back to the 12th century. The work, which depicts the Madonna delle Grazie, is the object of particular veneration. The fašade of the church gives the idea of movement with its beautiful portico in sandstone on two orders. Adjacent to the building is the Franciscan convent dating back to the 1500s, which was abandoned
by the Minor brothers at the beginning of our century. The name of Gualdo is inextricably linked with that of Romolo Murri. A priest, he was an important leader in the catholic movement and founder of the first Christian Democracy Party. In 1909 he was excommunicated when he came to blow with Church authorities, in that he intended to bring an Italian national catholic party into being that was autonomous compared with the religious structure. He was readmitted into the Church only in 1944. From 1909 to 1913 he was a member of the Italian Parliament. Dedicating his life to free lance journalism, he spent long periods of his time in Gualdo and he left his personal library and archive to the city, that are conserved on the ground floor of his home.